If merely reading that sent a wave of fear through your very spine, you’re not alone. It’s one of humanity’s greatest fears, which only tells me that you all haven’t been paying enough attention to the relentless might of the hippopotamus. But that’s another story.
We’re taking today’s episode to talk a bit about our experiences with public speaking, and some of the ways we get through this apparently terrifying ordeal relatively unscathed.
Next time you’re called up to the front of the room, you’ll be ready.
Things mentioned in this episode:
This week’s episode is sponsored by:
- Brilliant: Accelerate your learning in math, science, and computer science. Start learning for free at Brilliant.org/CollegeInfoGeek — and if you use this link, you’ll also get 20% off your subscription.
Other things we mentioned in this episode:
- How to Think Like Sherlock Holmes
- Peter Fonda
- 8 Things to STOP Doing When You Wake Up in the Morning
- 5 Rules for Answering ESSAY Questions on Exams
- How to Stay Hydrated: Here’s Everything You Need to Know
- Jerry Seinfeld
- Comedy Writing Secrets, by Mark Shatz and Mel Helitzer
- alpha m on YouTube
- Charisma on Command on YouTube
- Adam Driver’s Ted Talk
- Listen Money Matters
- CaseyNeistat on YouTube
- Become a Better Speaker: 9 Essential Public Speaking Skills
- 4 Tips for Crafting Great Speeches and Presentations
- Good to Great, by James C. Collins
Want more cool stuff? You can find all sorts of great tools at my Resources page.
- 0:09:10 – Dealing with anxiety and practicing a speech
- 0:19:43 – Remembering your lines and the 2 levels of practicing public speaking
- 0:28:42 – Delivering jokes in your presentations
- 0:32:26 – Sponsor: Brilliant (Learning problem-solving skills)
- 0:34:21 – Delivering jokes in your presentations (continued)
- 0:39:05 – Preparing your speech and keeping people engaged
- 0:45:17 – Building self-confidence
- 0:55:00 – Classes we recommend taking in high school
- 1:11:13 – Outlining and planning speeches
- 1:13:23 – Additional tips and conclusion
Here’s an image for sharing this episode on social media:
RSS is cool and all, but you can also view the original post here: How to Give a Killer Speech (Ep. 212)